Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Editing...or The Part I Hate the Most

I just finished two hours of hard editing -- like hard labor, except I'm still in my pjs and robe, sitting at my kitchen table, and I can get up and get a drink or something to eat while I'm doing it.

Writers seem to come in all shapes and sizes and for some, editing is their favorite part. I can't relate. My favorite part -- once I get an idea that appears to have legs -- is the blank page. I love writing with abandon, not worrying about all of the technical issues, like whether a character is fully developed or my climax is fleshed out or even if I got the little details, like the color of someone's hair -- right. I love just waiting to see what my character will do next, how she's going to get out of a difficult situation, and how to address a controversial issue, such as tackling abortion and religion -- to name two --like in the book I'm writing now.

But editing is a vital part of the process -- probably the most vital part.  It requires great attention to detail, a fleshing out of scenes, writing new scenes, deleting old ones, figuring out how all the is are going to be dotted and all the ts are going to get crossed. And it isn't easy.

It starts with a great editor, and that editor can't be the author. No matter how many writers think it, they are not capable of editing themselves, even if they edit for others, professionally. No, you need distance, you need someone to look objectively, and say Yeah, this works! (Pat yourself on the back) and No way! This doesn't work! (Cringe, but accept this is right and toss the words.)  And you need someone who is good at detail. (I'm not.) And someone with patience. (Definitely not me.)

It's worth it to pay for this service. A writer friend reading for free (maybe you can swap) can be very helpful -- I have a writer friend who is always my first reader, even before my editor -- but a writer friend generally can't be as specific as a professional editor. Maybe she doesn't have time -- after all, she's writing, too! -- or maybe she's afraid of hurting your feelings, or whatever.  A writer friend is a start, not an end, in the process.

I started working with a new editor for this book. She came highly recommended from an author whose work I deeply admire, and when I contacted her she was professional, thoughtful, and direct. I signed her up immediately and sent her my manuscript, nervous.

There was nothing to be nervous about. Her suggestions were completely on target, and my book is coming together to be an even better book because of her. So I say...all hail the editor. Probably the most important part of the process!

No comments: