Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Starting Up the College Search Process...Again

Two years ago, almost exactly at this time, my older daughter was trying to make her college decision. She was a senior in high school, and (I think) we had successfully navigated our first time college admissions process. She had a few choices, and then narrowed it down to two, where it stayed for some weeks before she ultimately decided, nearly at the last moment, and made her final choice.  I'm happy to report she loves her school, and for many reasons, it is the right place for her.

My younger daughter is now coming up behind her. She is a sophomore in high school, a good student, very active in clubs and activities.  Soon she will finish her sophomore year, and we're starting to talk about college.  There is something exciting about this -- though daunting, of course, at the idea of paying for another round of college -- to watch her beginning to make life decisions that will affect her forever.  It's fun to observe her thinking about it.

Yesterday when we got the 2014-15 school calendar, I told her if she wants to look at some colleges during fall or spring break, we can do that.  And in a few weeks, she'll be traveling to visit her sister at college for a few days to see what it's like, up close and personal.  Her sister's even scheduled a tour with other high school students so she can see what that's like.

We're trying to figure out when she can take her SATs next year. She's so busy that it's going to be difficult to find a time when she will have a few weeks to prep before taking them.  And Junior year, of course, can be overwhelming. It's the hardest year, academically, and she's choosing to take a heavy load.

I feel like I've learned a lot about the college admissions process since I went through it with my first daughter, and I hope we will make better, more informed choices this time around. Get ready, get set...a couple of challenging years ahead!

No comments: