Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My Baby is About to Go Out into the World!

In six days, Child of Mine will be out in the world. Like with my own children, I've been protective of my baby, and at the same time, have had to force myself to let it go.

I've easily revised this novel fifteen times, probably more.  Each time I sit down to read through it, I think I'm not going to find anything else to fix. And each time, I do.  As readers, you may find some things you would do differently.  You might find a typo or two -- though I hope not -- or you may be the kind of reader who just happily reads, enjoying the story, not noticing slight slip ups or areas you think could have been done better. I'm thankful and grateful for all of you, no matter what kind of readers you are!

While Child of Mine hits Kindle, Nook, and a bunch of other etailers next Tuesday, I'm also working on a new book.  Last week, I finished the first draft, and I'm excited about it. It's the story of a widowed Rabbi and his two children, dealing with the loss of their wife and mother as they try to figure out how to live without her, what they want from life, and who they really are.  It's a subject completely different from Child of Mine, yet it's just as important to me.  I write what I know, and since I'm Jewish, I wanted to explore a Jewish family.  There are also story lines in this new novel dealing with adoption and teen pregnancy. You can't get me to stray too far from subjects like pregnancy, birth, and adoption. Those are what I enjoy writing about most!

I feel like I'm about to jump off a very high platform over a very deep lake.  I have to dive straight into the center to avoid the shallow area, I have to make sure I jump out far enough to avoid the jagged rocks just below me, I have to hope that my jump will not end in serious injury. But at the same time, if I can get up the courage to jump (which, let's face it, I already have, since Child of Mine is going to be published no matter what!) I could have the most exciting, beautiful experience of my life.  I'm taking a chance here. But isn't that what it's all about?

No comments: