Wednesday, April 17, 2013

On Living

This week, I've been struck by the living all around me. The will to live despite difficult circumstances and the will to live better.

Of course we were all shocked when we saw the horrific scenes in Boston on Monday.  As of today, Wednesday, three people have died, including a little boy, and hundreds more have serious injuries. Many will need to learn to live without limbs. For them, life will be difficult over the next months and years.  But in time, they will rally and learn to live not only normally but joyfully, and the people around them will help with that.Their will to live is strong.

Just as the Boston Marathon tragedy was coming across the airwaves, a good friend of mine, a woman I've known my entire life -- literally, as we grew up across the street from each other, our parents best friends (still living on that same street!) -- was undergoing gastric sleeve surgery. (This is a form of bariatric weight loss surgery.) She had been contemplating this decision for years, literally, and agonizing over whether she should do it. Ultimately, she has a strong will to live, to feel herself, to be who she really is, and this surgery -- and its recovery - while not easy, will give her the opportunity to do that.  Difficult circumstances, again, but the will to live is stronger than the circumstances she finds herself in.

And I'm on my own journey to live a better life. Twelve years ago, I was diagnosed with Chrons Disease, an autoimmune disorder that attacks the digestive system, as well as other parts of the body, like the joints and the skin.

Over the last twelve years, I've been trying every oral medication there is on the market to feel better, some with more success than others, never getting me into remission for very long.  Last week my doctor threw down the gauntlet.  I needed to start IV infusions of a very strong medication that is sure to put me in remission. I could say that I "decided" to go for it -- but the truth is, there was little choice in the matter.  So yesterday I spent the day at the hospital getting my first infusion.  It's a long process -- I was there four hours -- of a slow drip of strong medication along with other drugs to counteract the negative side effects.  I wouldn't say it was any fun, but it was my way of moving forward with life so that I can be the person that I want to be, despite my circumstances.

This is what life is all about, when you get down to it. Living despite what you have to overcome.  And everyone has to overcome something. I do. My friend does. Surely the people of Boston now, do.  What do you have to overcome or what are you working to overcome so that you can live better?  Tell me. I'd love to know.

No comments: